78480 Vintage Swedish Kilim Rug Rollakan, 04'10 x 07'11.
With its Scandinavian Modern style, incredible detail and texture, this handwoven wool vintage Swedish rollakan rug is a captivating vision of woven beauty. The eye-catching geometric design and lively colorway woven into this piece work together creating a truly unique look. Vertical red tone-on-tone stripes set the scene for the centerpiece. An allover pattern of two-barred cross motifs vertically alternate with three-barred cross motifs. Short pillar bands made up of solid and stripe work in sequence cultivating a beautiful juxtaposition among the design. Small tonal pairs of squares running along the top and bottom add visual interest. It is framed with a rectilinear comb motif border. This vintage rollakan rug was woven in Kronoborgs Lans Hemslojd-Kristianstad by Irma Kronlund in 1955. Drawing inspiration from the local birds of Vaxjo (south-central Sweden), she named this piece Rodhake, meaning European Robin.
- Rendered in variegated shades of red, gray, and charcoal with other accent colors.
- Designed by Irma Kronlund in 1955.
- Lower left signature initials KLH woven at Kronoborgs Lans Hemslojd-Kristianstad.
- Lower right signature initials IK Irma Kronlund.
- Name is Rodhake meaning European Robin.
- Handwoven wool.
- Made in Sweden.
- Measures: 04'10 x 07'11.
- Date: 1950s. Mid-20th Century.